Thursday, July 11, 2013

Orange Humus


Orange Humus
I first started making this recipe back in the early eighties. I had recently graduated from university, and was asked by a vegetarian friend to bring humus to her party.  I didn't  know what humus was at the time and of course this was long before the internet.  I had three cook books at the time, Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book which my grandmother gave me when I was eight, The Joy of Cooking which I bought in university and The Enchanted Broccoli Forest which I bought to so that I could feed my vegetarian friends.  Better Homes and Gardens didn't have a recipe, The Joy of Cooking required me to buy 3 ingredients, chick peas, tahini ( I didn't know what tahini was either) and black olives, and the Enchanted Broccoli Forest didn't require the black olives.  Being on a tight budget, the Broccoli Forest recipe was the one I opted for.  It was a huge success and I continue to make orange humus to this day.  My version of the recipe has evolved since then, and continues to be a crowd favorite.  It is incredibly easy to make and is always better if made the night before.

1 540 ml (19 oz) can of chick peas
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
1 teaspoon of dry ginger
1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
1/2 teaspoon of smoked hot paprika
1/2 cup of concentrated frozen orange juice
1/4 cup of tahini
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
3 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons of chopped of onion

Put all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until almost smooth.  Adjust the consistency as required by adding more of the concentrated orange juice if required.  If I have a fresh orange I will grate some of the orange peel into the mixture.  Place in a container, seal and store in the refrigerator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment