Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Heritage Green Zebra Tomato and Yellow Tomato Soup

Green Zebra Tomatoes on the Vine
One of my favourite tomatoes is the green zebra tomato.  I love the texture combined with the fabulous colour and sweet flavour, with very little acidity.  Last spring I planted a few more zebra tomato plants than necessary and somehow forgot to plant your basic red tomato.  I did, however, plant heritage pineapple tomatoes which were fabulous, and are now included in my list of favourite tomatoes.  With the risk of frost, I picked the last of my green zebra tomatoes and yellow tomatoes and so made this soup. Next time I think I will not mix the yellow and the green so that the colour is cleaner. this soup tasted good hot, and then even better, cold the next day.  
Zebra Tomato and Yellow Tomato Soup with slice of Pineapple Tomato  
  • 4 green zebra tomatoes
  • 2 yellow low acid tomatoes
  • 1 onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • sprig of thyme 
  • 1/2 cup of white wine
  • 1/2 cup of broth, chiken or vegetable
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Chop onions and and sauté in olive oil until soft in large acid resistant pot.  Add chopped garlic and sauté.  Chop tomatoes and add to onion mixture.  Add broth and wine, and thyme. Add balsamic vinegar, bring to boil, and reduce heat to simmer and cook until tomatoes are soft.  Taste, and add sugar  salt and pepper as required.  Works well as a hot or cold soup.  

No comments:

Post a Comment