Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Denis' Birthday Heritage Tomato and Buffalo Mozzarella Salad

This is the best time of the year.  The tomatoes in my garden are ripe!!!  I grow a number of types of tomatoes, and at this time of year my garden is overflowing.  I love when you pick a tomato on a sunny day and you can feel the heat of the sun radiating out of the tomato into your hand.  There is nothing that tastes better.   


Some of the tomatoes from my garden 
It was Denis's birthday last week and of course, I brought tomatoes from the garden for dinner.  Denis had some fabulous buffalo mozzarella and fresh basil in his garden, and so we made a huge platter of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil, dressed with a bit of olive oil, salt and balsamic vinegar, not a true Insalata Caprese because I added a bit of balsamic vinegar, but who cares, it  tastes fabulous.   This dish is all about the ingredients, the freshest tomatoes and basil, and good cheese, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  
Denis' Birthday Tomato Salad includes some black tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, green zebra tomatoes,  and my favorite, brandy wine tomatoes.  
I feel a bit foolish writing down the recipe for this because it is so simple and so good.

Slice a selection of the ripest, freshest tomatoes, add a few leaves of torn fresh basil, tear apart a ball of Buffalo Mozzarella, and arrange amongst the tomatoes.  Sprinkle a bit of the best sea salt you have, drizzle with the best olive oil you have, and the the best balsamic vinegar you have.  That's it.  your done. 





No comments:

Post a Comment