Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Pesto Zucchini Noodles

Zucchini Noodles with Pesto and Parmesan
My friend Ian introduced me to zucchini noodles a few months back, and I have to admit, I was sceptical and then I tasted.  He has this gadget, Taglialegumi, Plastica  (model # A4982799) made by the Italian Paderno , that turns zucchini into noodles that looks just like spaghetti.   Ian served the zucchini noodles with a cold tomato and date sauce which was so good that I immediately started looking for a gadget of my own.  I found one at a local restaurant and have been experimenting with different versions of zucchini noodles since then.
Zucchini coming out of Gadget 

I currently have an abundance of zucchini and basil in the garden, and have just harvested my garlic,  and so made a pesto version of the zucchini noodles this past weekend to rave reviews.

Zucchini Noodles
  • 1 large green zucchini, 
  • 1 large yellow zucchini
  • 1 teaspoons of salt
Pesto
  • 1 bunch of basil, about 2 cups of leaves
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • approximately 2/3 of a cup of olive oil, 
  • 1/2 cup of Parmesan Reggiano, freshly  grated 
  • 1/4 cup of pine nuts or sunflower seeds
Cut zucchini noodles with noodle maker. Alternately  use a mandolin and slice both ways.
Salt zucchini  and toss gently.  Let rest in a colander for 10 or 15 minutes.

Mean while, prepare pesto.  Remove basil leaves from stems, discard stems and place leaves in food processor.  Add garlic,  olive oil and and process.  Add grated Parmesan cheese and sunflower seeds and process.  Add more olive oil if needed.  

Gently squeeze out excess water from zucchini noodles. Place in bowl.   Stir in pesto and serve.   

Note: my sister found a Taglialegui on Craig's List.

No comments:

Post a Comment