Sunday, June 17, 2012

Garlic Scape Pesto

Garlic scape in the garden today 
This past fall I planted 10 different types of garlic in my garden, not knowing which I preferred.  Unfortunately, the pen I used on the name tags washed off over the winter, so I still won't know which is my favourite and will have to be disciplined enough to save some of my favourite for planting later in the fall.  Lesson learned - keep notes, tags aren't good enough. 

On a positive note, I now have an abundance of garlic scapes.  In the past I would throw a few in a stir fry, or in a salad or sauté some as a side.  However over a hundred scapes at one time presented a challenge, until my I remembered my friend Denis raving about the pleasures of Garlic Scape Pesto, and I have to say after making this once, it will become an annual event.


Of course, I didn't have pine nuts in the cupboard or sunflower seeds for that matter, but I did have pumpkin seeds, so I gave it a try, and will definitely use again.
Garlic Scape Pesto

Garlic Scape Pesto

  • 2 cups of garlic scapes 
  • approximately 1/4 cup of olive oil
  • 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, or sunflower seeds
  • 4 sealable small bottles for storing
Cut scapes into small pieces that the food processor can handle.  If any of the scapes have progressed to the hard flower stage, remove hard piece and discard.  Chop in food processor, adding olive oil slowly until the mixture is slightly more fluid than a paste.  Add about the same amount of grated parmesan cheese and pumpkin seeds as olive oil.  Process and add more olive oil until correct consistency.

Place in sterilized bottles, seal with olive oil, and store in refrigerator.  

I also made a vegan version with no parmesan cheese and twice the amount of pumpkin seeds and added some salt to compensate for the missing salt from the cheese.  



No comments:

Post a Comment